|Logo Credit: CADCA|
The webinar will feature Maggie Mahoney, J.D., Deputy Director at the Tobacco Control Legal Consortium, and Maija Yasui, Prevention Coordinator for the Hood River County Commission on Children and Families.
The purpose of this webinar is learn about the available resources for coalitions from the Tobacco Control Legal Consortium to assist with local policy development or modification. The Tobacco Control Legal Consortium has been helping advocates use the law to advance public health outcomes in local communities for thirteen years. The webinar will review how the Tobacco Control Legal Consortium assists local coalitions develop legislation and policies in core areas to preserve, protect and promote public health. The Hood River County Drug Prevention Coalition will share strategies, activities and outcomes that were key to reducing tobacco use rates in their community. The coalition will also share how they established tobacco –free schools, hospital, housing, parks and other outdoor policies in order to inspire other coalitions working on these similar strategies. Much of Hood River’s success comes from the engagement of youth in environmental assessments, media production and community activism. In the last five years additional reductions in tobacco use by youth and adults has come through strong engagement of the faith and Hispanic communities. This webinar will take participants through the first steps, lessons learned, challenges and strategies/policies implemented. Participants are highly encouraged to ask questions and provide personal feedback at the end of the speaking segment of the webinar.
At the end of the webinar, participants should be able to:
- Identify at least one policy implementation area recommended by the Tobacco Control Legal Consortium or the Hood River County Drug Prevention Coalition
- Understand the benefits and resources offered by the Tobacco Control Legal Consortium
- Describe some of the challenges to implement tobacco prevention policies and how to overcome those challenges
- Understand the importance of youth engagement in reducing the burden of tobacco use
- Understand the importance of local media influence in reducing the burden of tobacco use
- Implement strategies to use the influence of creating new social norms to reduce tobacco use prevalence and acceptance
- Implement collaborative strategies that encourage sustainable partnership building
(Registration form is in a survey format)